Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Slam Dunk Take on Courage

I'm sitting on my son's toddler bed, keeping him company as he wades through the last few minutes of his waking hours into the calm solitude of sleep. Today has been a good day for us. He's been fighting a sinus infection due to allergies and has not been the most gracious of bubbies. However, today he's managed to keep a relatively good mood on the surface. I know he's miserable, but he's been brave today. 

His courage is inspiring. He's been inspiring me and his sister since he was a brand new infant. He basically cried for the first three months of his life because he was digestively miserable and altogether too big for the package in which he found himself. At three months I bought him a walker and my dad modified it to fit his short legs. Within a week he was terrorizing his sister on wheels. He rode that thing into the ground-- buy the time he began walking at ten months the wheels were flat! When he began walking, it wasn't good enough for him-- he needed to walk with a big stick! He's been pushing himself and the limits of his packaging all his life. Today he pushed himself to be a better playmate even though he feels awful. 

My own courage does not come naturally to me. I am inherently an introvert and people often exhaust me. It takes a lot of energy for me to be a good friend, mother, wife, daughter...  I just have to work it. I have, too! I spent the better part of my 20's working past my introversion and making friends. I'm so glad I did because now, ten years later, I still have some of those amazing friends. I also have two children who often teach me as I am teaching them, and a wonderful husband who says he loves me more, not because he loves me more than I love him, but because he loves me more than anyone else on the planet.

It's taken me years of hard emotional work and building up my courage to get here today, yet my work isn't completed. My son's natural courage is a reminder to me that everyday I have to keep my own courage up and I need to push myself to be better than I am. How else will I keep up with him? 

No comments:

Post a Comment