Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Slamdunk: What Happens When You Confront Your Student With the Facts of Life

Yesterday I warned Coral about this semester's workload. I informed her that we would be spending the majority of our time reading and writing. She is behind the curve in the reading department because I haven't pressed her as hard as traditional schools press students in this area.

She has a few very strong innate abilities--art is her life, math is becoming one victory after another for her. She loves learning science--her questions never end.

"Why do we cough?"
"What happens if we get too much blood inside us?"
"What kinds of animals hibernate?"
"Where are the birds going?"
"What do fish eat?"
And on and on.

I love this about her! She makes my life interesting with all the wonderful questions she asks and we learn so much following her trains of thought. But I haven't pressed her to do her own reading. I was so focused on enjoying her ride that I let it slip. I became aware of how behind she is this Christmas when she and her friend wrote a letter to Santa. I should say, Coral dictated to her friend. Coral does write, and she reads, but she isn't much more than a beginner at either.

This semester I am going to lead her through her beginning stages and into the wonderful world of reading for delight and information. This is going to be a challenge for her because she gets her letters mixed up frequently. We are going to work it hard, and my lovely daughter surprised me when I informed her of the plan. She said, "Sounds good!"

Stop. Breath. Reboot.

"Sounds good!"
This is the face of a beautiful mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment