Saturday, January 3, 2015

Self-Publishing the Slamdunk Way

Recently, I self-published to Amazon. By recently, I mean I published on December 16, 2014. It was a bit of a rash decision. Naturally. I've had a steep learning curve since I unthinkingly decided to put my book out there.

First of all, I have to say, I WIN at Twitter. Seriously. It took me about three days to figure it out and get it going. My account has been snow-balling since. I get retweeted, favorited, and followed in these bursts of notifications to my phone that sometimes take all my battery power and leave me stranded without a phone. Not a bad problem to have, but it is a full-time job keeping up with my twitterverse.

Second, did you know there was a way to have your own author page on Amazon? I didn't until today. Three weeks into self-publishing and I only just learned this. This is what I'm talking about when I say a steep learning curve.

I made a Facebook fan page and it was an uphill battle to get it to be what I wanted it to be. But I figured it out when I set out to like some other indie authors' fan pages with my author profile. I put step by step instructions on Goodreads for my new friends there.

Speaking of which, Goodreads. Did. Not. Know. It. Existed. Until I published. I went searching for places to promote and found Goodreads.com. It has become my refuge from the self-promoting and advertising around the web. I am part of the Read Romance, Write Romance group (among others), and those authors and readers have helped me so much just by being a fun group I can talk with about my book, their books, publishing, social media obstacles, and nothing at all. I've fallen in love with that group. I don't think I would be writing this blog post without them.

I am still learning, jumping into this self-publishing business with both feet and finding myself learning more today about social media than I have in the last decade. It's the Slamdunk way: fake it til you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment